Tuesday 7 January 2014

Dare to Write: the Workshop

This year, one of my writing resolutions is to start running regular writing workshops again.

From 2004 - 2010, I ran weekly writing workshops for two London councils.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my writing career.

Week in, week out, people from all walks of life would walk into the libraries we met in and sit down and write.

Week in, week out, I would come up with ever more ingenious ways of exploring character and plot, poetry and prose, self publishing and traditional publishing, writing for radio, stage and screen.

In teaching others, I learnt so much. 

And so did everyone else.

Plays that began life as a simple writing exercise were staged.

Novels that began life as a simple writing prompt were published.

Poems that began life as a single scribbled couplet grew to entire collections.

Competitions were won.

Short stories were sold.

And over the years many lasting friendships were formed.

I would throw parties at my house, filled with these writers.

It was a wonderful time.

And then I moved away.

And I got really busy with my own writing and work in the publishing industry, so my workshops took a back seat.

But I've missed them so much that last year I made the executive decision to cut back on my publishing consultancy work and run more workshops instead.

For the past few months I've been working away behind the scenes, developing Dare to Write workshops for a variety of different audiences.

Dare to Write ~ Online

Dare to Write ~ Young Adult Fiction

Dare to Write ~ Children's Fiction

Dare to Write ~ in Business

Dare to Write ~ the Novel

and my flagship workshop:

Dare to Write ~ for all

I even made a trailer about them:





I'm delighted to kick things off with a monthly Dare to Write workshop for all writers, which will be taking place on the first Tuesday of each month, beginning on Tuesday 4th February, from 7.30 - 9.30 pm - in a wonderfully atmospheric Moroccan tearoom!





Motivation, inspiration, expert feedback and teas galore - what more could you ask for?!





Each workshop will feature written exercises, tips, advice - and the opportunity to read and receive feedback on any work in progress.

The venue is Dar Papillon, 360-364 Berkhamsted High Street, HP4 1HU.

And the price for each workshop is £10 - or you can block book six workshops for £50.

For more info, please email me at:

contact[AT]siobhancurham[DOT]co[DOT]uk

I'm also currently looking for venues for the Dare to Write Workshop Tour, so if you would like me to come and run a workshop for your organisation or at your venue, please get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment